We have a ‘School Council’ which consists of 10 pupils; 2 pupils elected by each class from years 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. This group meets with the Mrs Higgins every week on a Friday. The school council makes decisions, after consulting with their peers, about changes in our school. Recent decisions have been; playground developments, thinking about how to improve the school lunchtime arrangements and how we can raise money for different charities. We have even met real local councillors to let them know what we think about issues.
For many years all the decisions about children were made by adults in schools. But adults don’t always make the right decisions, sometimes because they haven’t talked to the children about the issue. By being on the school council the children are able to help the adults in our school make the right decisions for the children and the school.
What is the job of a School Councillor?
- To go to School Council meetings and take part in discussions
- To let your class know what was talked about at the meetings
- To take the ideas and views of your classmates to the Council
- To help organise playground equipment
- To lead by example – always showing good behaviour to others